Friday, February 15, 2008

The Effects of Drinking Too Much of Water.

I know I have learned Biology, but I have never really given much thoughts on this question/problem.
At least not until I saw this e-mail from my Sis.


It is such a pity that it happened. But SEVEN litres of water a day?!
Sometimes, I don't even see myself drinking 1 litre a day.

Well, I was pretty curious and so decided to check this out myself.
Apparently, drinking too much of water can lead to water intoxication and further hyponatremia.

Quoted from chemistry.about.com,
"When too much water enters the body's cells, the tissues swell with the excess fluid. Your cells maintain a specific concentration gradient, so excess water outside the cells (the serum) draws sodium from within the cells out into the serum in an attempt to re-establish the necessary concentration. As more water accumulates, the serum sodium concentration drops -- a condition known as hyponatremia. The other way cells try to regain the electrolyte balance is for water outside the cells to rush into the cells via osmosis. The movement of water across a semipermeable membrane from higher to lower concentration is called osmosis. Although electrolytes are more concentrated inside the cells than outside, the water outside the cells is 'more concentrated' or 'less dilute' since it contains fewer electrolytes. Both electrolytes and water move across the cell membrane in an effort to balance concentration. Theoretically, cells could swell to the point of bursting."

In another article, one woman was stated to have died after a water-drinking contest.
Gosh! Now I understand why my Mom had always advised me to never hold my wee.
Wonder why the organizer of the contest is not stated to be held responsible though.
So, people, take this as a lesson and don't do stupid things just to get materialistic. You should be rational alright.
What is a Wii compared to your life. Right?

Well, drink smart! Don't drink hard! *winks*
Better yet, save water! Hehe. This is not an advise. =p

0 comments: