Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Photo-Loaded Sibu Travelogue. [Part 2]

Wokays. Time to continue on to day 2, unless God forbids so. =)



First destination of the day -- Pasar Sentral Sibu. The place is packed with at least over a thousand mini-stalls. Don't blame me for totally believing it when I was told that this is the largest marketplace in South East Asia. I can't seem to find any proof to it but I won't say it's not possible. At least, it is the largest marketplace I have ever seen!

Standing on the fourth storey of the carpark building, I was already [literally!] jumping up and down in excitement looking at what's before my eyes. Thing was, it's not even half quarter of what the whole place is!!

[First view at Sibu Central Market]

[Wet area of the market.]

The sight that really amuses me is definitely the poultry - being sold alive!! What's uncommon here [in the west] is definitely nothing more than just the usual there [in the east]! Funny yet saddening. What more can they do besides waiting patiently for someone to purchase them, bring them on their last journey and get slaughtered? *sobz*
The cruelty of life. I'd rather have them placed in front of my eyes without those feathers and clucking, or quacking. At least then, cooking would be easier. So is eating.
The selfishness in me. =(


Anyway, deal with it. On the bright side, I get to see that the black chicken does not have black feathers. In fact, they don't look the same dead and alive. And I met a shy duck. And I saw a mother hen pooping out an egg. Well, not the process of so but enough to know who laid the egg. Oh, the heart of a mother. *sobz*


*bzzzt* Let's look at something...not alive. Trust me, you could find almost anything in this marketplace. The stuffs being sold are superbly cheap too, needless to compare. But many of which I would never ever put into my mouth. For example, these paku-pakis. Cheap but...nyahhhh.


And also this!

[The head looks like lychee seed, isn't it?]

Okay fine, so it is alive. You should have seen it wriggle! Teehee~ You should have seen us wriggle too!
Though we may look disgusted, we actually enjoy the little fellas. Not the taste of it but the look of it. Spent what seemed like an eternity aah-ing and eww-ing at one stall, walk about for probably a minute or less, come back to the same stall eee-ing and urgh-ing for another eternity.
Yes, we're the little 'mountain tortoises' from the Peninsular. Deal with it.

One stall owner was nice enough to offer us one of whatever-you-named-that-thing. Of course nobody dared to eat it up! So again the 'mountain tortoises' continued our little routine. Hah!


Anyone up for food now? :)
For breakfast, we headed to the marketplace's food court. So many stalls, which to choose? While on the search, I couldn't help but notice this.

First time ever seeing fishes being displayed in this manner!

Kampua, kampua! The search ends at this one stall, supposedly the best in the food court - I think [anyway, I forgot the name, no photos either]. After much hassle making us understand who's territory is this and that, we were finally seated and orders taken. Pity the customers la! *hrmph*
What more Foochow dialect was the primary spoken language in Sibu! Imagine the question marks we had bouncing on top of our heads! Luckily enough we had one translator with us. And lucky for me, a menu board with romanized words!

I just realised I never took a photo of the kampua mee I ate. Guess I was too hungry then. Wait...was it kampua that I ate?? Hehe. Anyway, for your eyes' feasting only.

Sarawak laksa. I didn't eat this particular one but I ate it nonetheless and it tastes just like a bowl of plain curry mee, without lemak santan. Is that what it's supposed to taste like?

Sibu Foochow's probably most favourite food. Red wine chicken mee sua noodles in soup. This particular one is not exactly my favourite.

I don't know what this is, but it looks tempting for breakfast.

Fried kuey teow, I believe?
The blurry effect of the photo could be because that I'm already eating my own food when this arrived. Haha!

Bii's favourite kong piang. I was told that this version is very different from the one they have in Lumut, Perak. I'm still waiting to try that. But this one here, it tastes like bread with ham in the middle and soaked in a plate of dark saucy-soup thingy. Nothing over-the-head special but I like it. :)

And finally...a cuppa 3-layered-tea.
...with full disappointment! Do not ask me why it's green. I don't care either. It's tasteless! *sulks*

Oh well, just remember not to leave the marketplace - and Sibu, without buying any of these. *cheers*

0 comments: